[Standards] Resource conflict handling

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jun 13 22:10:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> No, we don't wait for a response to time out. That's why it's called
> "timing out". :-)

Waiting for a response and not receiving one is what "timing out" means.

 No, it's a fixed timeout in the order of ten seconds. There is nothing a
> client can do (including explicitly pausing the session) to avoid this.

Like I said, if a BOSH session is paused, this is incorrect.  It would
result in clients being disconnected when they shouldn't be.  It's not as
bad as the busy-looping case where two clients repeatedly disconnect each
other, but it'll still cause breakage.

Turn it around - how is your problem not solved by the solution already in
> existence?

I want server connections to be quick, terminating stale connections
immediately.  Making a user wait for a timeout of any duration while he's
sitting there waiting to do something is a poor workaround, not a solution.

--
Glenn Maynard