[Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?

Jefry Lagrange jefry.reyes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 06:40:16 UTC 2011


Thanks, I can't believe I missed that. It is clear now.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM,  <standards-request at xmpp.org> wrote:
> Send Standards mailing list submissions to
>        standards at xmpp.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        standards-request at xmpp.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        standards-owner at xmpp.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Standards digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. XEP-198 when to start counting? (Jefry Lagrange)
>   2. Re: XEP-198 when to start counting? (Matthew Wild)
>   3. Re: XEP-198 when to start counting? (Peter Saint-Andre)
>   4. Re: XEP-198 when to start counting? (Matthew Wild)
>   5. Re: XEP-198 when to start counting? (Peter Saint-Andre)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:25:18 -0400
> From: Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?
> To: standards at xmpp.org
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=RC_Ey+KCnwxRT14YhO-pLLmjKFw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> When I test stream management with a prosody server, this happens:
>
> <!-- Out -->
> <enable xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" resume="true" />
>
> <!-- Out -->
> <iq type="set" id="2">
> <session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session" />
> </iq>
>
> <!-- In -->
> <enabled id='a8110118-42ec-485c-b386-85b2d12a02a1' resume='true'
> xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>
> <!-- Out -->
> <r xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" />
>
> <!-- In -->
> <iq id='2' type='result'
> to='jtest at thiessen.im/919aece2-21f2-4fc4-9e02-1111ac522509_'/>
> <r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>
> <!-- Out -->
> <a xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" h="1" />
>
>
>
> The client sent an IQ stanza before it received confirmation for SM
> negotiation <enabled />. When should I start counting? When I send
> <enable /> or when I receive <enabled />?
>
> Also in the XEP document, section 11.3 Stream Features. It says that
> "The XMPP Registrar includes 'urn:xmpp:sm:3' in its registry of stream
> features at <http://xmpp.org/registrar/stream-features.html>." But at
> that URL you can't find 'urn:xmpp:sm:3', only 'urn:xmpp:sm:2' is
> there.
>
>
>
> --
> Jefry Lagrange
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:37:15 +0100
> From: Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?
> To: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=Jj4wWxM9cN_i2ZFwLvtH2uTbGeg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> On 17 June 2011 18:25, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I test stream management with a prosody server, this happens:
>>
>> <!-- Out -->
>> <enable xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" resume="true" />
>>
>> <!-- Out -->
>> <iq type="set" id="2">
>> <session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session" />
>> </iq>
>>
>> <!-- In -->
>> <enabled id='a8110118-42ec-485c-b386-85b2d12a02a1' resume='true'
>> xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>
>> <!-- Out -->
>> <r xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" />
>>
>> <!-- In -->
>> <iq id='2' type='result'
>> to='jtest at thiessen.im/919aece2-21f2-4fc4-9e02-1111ac522509_'/>
>> <r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>
>> <!-- Out -->
>> <a xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" h="1" />
>>
>>
>>
>> The client sent an IQ stanza before it received confirmation for SM
>> negotiation <enabled />. When should I start counting? When I send
>> <enable /> or when I receive <enabled />?
>>
>
> When you send <enable/>, if you're going to send stanzas before you
> receive <enabled/>.
>
> The XEP says this:
>
> "
> The value of 'h' starts at zero at the point stream management is
> enabled or requested to be enabled, is incremented to one for the
> first stanza handled, and is incremented by one again with each
> subsequent stanza handled.
> "
>
> ...which isn't too decisive, to say the least :)
>
> You should definitely start counting from when you send <enable/>,
> because it is from receiving that that the server starts counting on
> its end and because it has no idea at what time you, the client,
> receive the <enabled/>.
>
>> Also in the XEP document, section 11.3 Stream Features. It says that
>> "The XMPP Registrar includes 'urn:xmpp:sm:3' in its registry of stream
>> features at <http://xmpp.org/registrar/stream-features.html>." But at
>> that URL you can't find 'urn:xmpp:sm:3', only 'urn:xmpp:sm:2' is
>> there.
>>
>
> Probably a communications failure between the XEP Editor and the XMPP
> Registrar :)
>
> Regards,
> Matthew
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:40:41 -0600
> From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
> Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?
> To: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
> Message-ID: <4DFB9199.7050304 at stpeter.im>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> On 6/17/11 11:37 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> On 17 June 2011 18:25, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I test stream management with a prosody server, this happens:
>>>
>>> <!-- Out -->
>>> <enable xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" resume="true" />
>>>
>>> <!-- Out -->
>>> <iq type="set" id="2">
>>> <session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session" />
>>> </iq>
>>>
>>> <!-- In -->
>>> <enabled id='a8110118-42ec-485c-b386-85b2d12a02a1' resume='true'
>>> xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>
>>> <!-- Out -->
>>> <r xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" />
>>>
>>> <!-- In -->
>>> <iq id='2' type='result'
>>> to='jtest at thiessen.im/919aece2-21f2-4fc4-9e02-1111ac522509_'/>
>>> <r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>
>>> <!-- Out -->
>>> <a xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" h="1" />
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The client sent an IQ stanza before it received confirmation for SM
>>> negotiation <enabled />. When should I start counting? When I send
>>> <enable /> or when I receive <enabled />?
>>>
>>
>> When you send <enable/>, if you're going to send stanzas before you
>> receive <enabled/>.
>>
>> The XEP says this:
>>
>> "
>> The value of 'h' starts at zero at the point stream management is
>> enabled or requested to be enabled, is incremented to one for the
>> first stanza handled, and is incremented by one again with each
>> subsequent stanza handled.
>> "
>>
>> ...which isn't too decisive, to say the least :)
>
> Seems clear to me. Feel free to propose revised text.
>
>> You should definitely start counting from when you send <enable/>,
>> because it is from receiving that that the server starts counting on
>> its end and because it has no idea at what time you, the client,
>> receive the <enabled/>.
>>
>>> Also in the XEP document, section 11.3 Stream Features. It says that
>>> "The XMPP Registrar includes 'urn:xmpp:sm:3' in its registry of stream
>>> features at <http://xmpp.org/registrar/stream-features.html>." But at
>>> that URL you can't find 'urn:xmpp:sm:3', only 'urn:xmpp:sm:2' is
>>> there.
>>>
>>
>> Probably a communications failure between the XEP Editor and the XMPP
>> Registrar :)
>
> Indeed, those two roles within the XSF notoriously have trouble keeping
> things straight.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> https://stpeter.im/
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: smime.p7s
> Type: application/pkcs7-signature
> Size: 6105 bytes
> Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
> URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/attachments/20110617/c53cd930/attachment-0001.bin>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:52:36 +0100
> From: Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?
> To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
> Cc: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTikZ+uk4zmXgRnG=6kEG-2yL8dTRog at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> On 17 June 2011 18:40, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On 6/17/11 11:37 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>>> On 17 June 2011 18:25, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> When I test stream management with a prosody server, this happens:
>>>>
>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>> <enable xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" resume="true" />
>>>>
>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>> <iq type="set" id="2">
>>>> <session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session" />
>>>> </iq>
>>>>
>>>> <!-- In -->
>>>> <enabled id='a8110118-42ec-485c-b386-85b2d12a02a1' resume='true'
>>>> xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>>
>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>> <r xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" />
>>>>
>>>> <!-- In -->
>>>> <iq id='2' type='result'
>>>> to='jtest at thiessen.im/919aece2-21f2-4fc4-9e02-1111ac522509_'/>
>>>> <r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>>
>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>> <a xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" h="1" />
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The client sent an IQ stanza before it received confirmation for SM
>>>> negotiation <enabled />. When should I start counting? When I send
>>>> <enable /> or when I receive <enabled />?
>>>>
>>>
>>> When you send <enable/>, if you're going to send stanzas before you
>>> receive <enabled/>.
>>>
>>> The XEP says this:
>>>
>>> "
>>> The value of 'h' starts at zero at the point stream management is
>>> enabled or requested to be enabled, is incremented to one for the
>>> first stanza handled, and is incremented by one again with each
>>> subsequent stanza handled.
>>> "
>>>
>>> ...which isn't too decisive, to say the least :)
>>
>> Seems clear to me. Feel free to propose revised text.
>>
>
> I was about to, but then noticed that actually just below the whole
> thing is already clarified in a note. So perhaps after "requested to
> be enabled" simply insert "(see note below)" - the box clarifies both
> the client and server side of the proceedings.
>
> Jefry - does the note in the XEP (the box just before example 6) leave
> you with any question about what the correct behaviour is? It seems to
> answer your question perfectly.
>
> Regards,
> Matthew
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:57:37 -0600
> From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
> Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-198 when to start counting?
> To: Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>
> Cc: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
> Message-ID: <4DFB9591.7050807 at stpeter.im>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> On 6/17/11 11:52 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> On 17 June 2011 18:40, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>>> On 6/17/11 11:37 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>>>> On 17 June 2011 18:25, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> When I test stream management with a prosody server, this happens:
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>>> <enable xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" resume="true" />
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>>> <iq type="set" id="2">
>>>>> <session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session" />
>>>>> </iq>
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- In -->
>>>>> <enabled id='a8110118-42ec-485c-b386-85b2d12a02a1' resume='true'
>>>>> xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>>> <r xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" />
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- In -->
>>>>> <iq id='2' type='result'
>>>>> to='jtest at thiessen.im/919aece2-21f2-4fc4-9e02-1111ac522509_'/>
>>>>> <r xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:2'/>
>>>>>
>>>>> <!-- Out -->
>>>>> <a xmlns="urn:xmpp:sm:2" h="1" />
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The client sent an IQ stanza before it received confirmation for SM
>>>>> negotiation <enabled />. When should I start counting? When I send
>>>>> <enable /> or when I receive <enabled />?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> When you send <enable/>, if you're going to send stanzas before you
>>>> receive <enabled/>.
>>>>
>>>> The XEP says this:
>>>>
>>>> "
>>>> The value of 'h' starts at zero at the point stream management is
>>>> enabled or requested to be enabled, is incremented to one for the
>>>> first stanza handled, and is incremented by one again with each
>>>> subsequent stanza handled.
>>>> "
>>>>
>>>> ...which isn't too decisive, to say the least :)
>>>
>>> Seems clear to me. Feel free to propose revised text.
>>>
>>
>> I was about to, but then noticed that actually just below the whole
>> thing is already clarified in a note. So perhaps after "requested to
>> be enabled" simply insert "(see note below)" - the box clarifies both
>> the client and server side of the proceedings.
>>
>> Jefry - does the note in the XEP (the box just before example 6) leave
>> you with any question about what the correct behaviour is? It seems to
>> answer your question perfectly.
>
> That's why we added it. :)
>
> Now, why v1.3rc2 is published on the website already before it has been
> approved by the XMPP Council is another question...
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> https://stpeter.im/
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: smime.p7s
> Type: application/pkcs7-signature
> Size: 6105 bytes
> Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
> URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/attachments/20110617/cd9f9a85/attachment.bin>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Standards mailing list
> Standards at xmpp.org
> http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
>
>
> End of Standards Digest, Vol 91, Issue 16
> *****************************************
>



-- 
Jefry Lagrange



More information about the Standards mailing list