[Standards] RTT, take 2 -Line break issue

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Thu Jun 23 21:57:20 UTC 2011

Re: http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/realtimetext.html

Looking further in the XMPP-RTT document, I found a statement about
using LF as a Line Separator.

In 4.5.2.1 it is said:
"Line breaks are treated as a single new line character (U+000A) that
can be backspaced or deleted."

In some environments, single LF are depreciated, and CRLF preferred
instead for New Line.
That is the case in RFC 5198 Network Unicode.

In T.140 we have instead U+2028 as the recommended New Line or Line
separator, as recommended in the Unicode standard but not by RFC 5198.

I got the impression from section 4.5.2.1 that it is a "soft new line"
that is desired here, that just formats text but not puts an end to the
message.  That is different from the end-of-message indication, that is
very commonly initiated by a CRLF.

Are there any habits for such codes for soft line breaks already
established in the XMPP message world that should be adopted here?

Gunnar