[Standards] RTT, take 2 -Line break issue

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:27:46 UTC 2011

Re: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/realtimetext.html

Question: Is there any conflict between the standards?
Or is this just a terminology issue?

After passing through all sorts of XML parsers, a lot of newlines become
converted into a single "\n".
So to confirm, it seems like we need to make a distinction between the *wire
format* (CRLF recommended) and the *application normalized string* format
which must end as LF?

XMPP uses XML. Therefore XMPP implements section 2.11 of the XML standard:
"To simplify the tasks of applications, the XML processor must behave as if
it normalized all line breaks in external parsed entities (including the
document entity) on input, before parsing, by translating both the
two-character sequence #xD #xA and any #xD that is not followed by #xA *to a
single #xA character*."

Quoted from section 2.11 "End-of-Line" handling in
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/

Regardless, I should change the wording of XMPP RTT to say that all line
breaks (however they're represented as) should be counted as 1 from the
perspective of position/length indexing purposes of real-time editing
(insert and delete text operations in XMPP RTT)

Sincerely,
Mark Rejhon