[Standards] RTT: no negotiation of the feature

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:44:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga at isode.com>wrote:

> We need to keep experiments from harming our production networks.  If this
> extensions gets used blindly, it might well trash some production network.
>
> I don't care how this feature is negotiated between the two entities
> intended to experiment with it, I only care that I have some ability to
> disrupt that negotiation so I can prevent this extensions use and hence
> protect my network from the real harm that would come by its use on my
> network.

We should keep this in perspective: This is XMPP RTT, not in-band
bytestreams (i.e. XEP-0096 file transfer). It is low bandwidth the vast
majority of the time, and contributes no additional data when nobody is
typing.

That said, I agree -- it is going to be added to the spec in due time, well
before XMPP RTT clients become popular.