[Standards] RTT: no negotiation of the feature

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Fri Jun 24 14:48:31 UTC 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Mark Rejhon wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:
> We need to keep experiments from harming our production networks.  If this extensions gets used blindly, it might well trash some production network.
>
> I don't care how this feature is negotiated between the two entities intended to experiment with it, I only care that I have some ability to disrupt that negotiation so I can prevent this extensions use and hence protect my network from the real harm that would come by its use on my network.
>
> We should keep this in perspective: This is XMPP RTT, not in-band bytestreams (i.e. XEP-0096 file transfer). It is low bandwidth the vast majority of the time, and contributes no additional data when nobody is typing.

Certain operational networks we support cannot deal with the extra traffic.

> That said, I agree -- it is going to be added to the spec in due time, well before XMPP RTT clients become popular.

I see reason why a basic yes/no negotiation of the extension cannot be added now, whether by iq or by caps or some other appropriate mechanism.

If it needs to change later, fine.  But please add something now.

-- Kurt