[Standards] RTT: no negotiation of the feature

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:15:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:

> > Servers can inject event='stop' to achieve the same thing. Problem
> solved?
> > (We don't condone this. XMPP RTT may interoperate with 911 services, as a
> > replacement for deaf TDD/TTY legal requirements.)
>
> In that case, surely negotiation is vital and urgent?

The earlier spec covered feature negotiation via XEP-0020. However, it was
encouraged by a few people that spec simplification became more important,
and to focus chiefly on the most basic, core interop issues, at least for
the first published version of the specification.

We can agree to accelerating some kind of a standards-compliant session
negotiation quickly (i.e. less than a month from now). But more than one
company already developed proprietary variations of real time text over XMPP
(all of which were inferior to XMPP RTT), and I finally successfully
convinced one of them to switch to my XMPP RTT standard.

Note: If anybody needs to block XMPP RTT abuse, they should do it via
bandwidth policy, not via extension-blocking policy, due to the possible use
of XMPP RTT by deaf individuals (assistive act violations) and 911
(emergency accessibility). Also, XMPP RTT is also used on mobile phones.
Carefully done, by a slow cellphone typist, XMPP RTT only uses 150 bytes a
second (UTF-8 XML bytes, excluding TCP/IP overhead).  Not a problem even for
GPRS.