[Standards] RTT: no negotiation of the feature

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:27:10 UTC 2011

2011/6/24 Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be>

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The earlier spec covered feature negotiation via XEP-0020. However, it
> was
> > encouraged by a few people that spec simplification became more
> important,
> > and to focus chiefly on the most basic, core interop issues, at least for
> > the first published version of the specification.
>
> How about just using Disco/Caps discovery for now, as was suggested
> earlier? I think this will make most people happy, and will only add a
> few lines to the spec. See for example XEP-0085, section 4:
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html

Kurt et cetra, would this be satisfactory in the short term?

It would at least mean XMPP RTT would now have a basic mechanism of
discovering whether the other end supports RTT, and being able to restrain
from sending RTT if the other end does not support RTT. This would not be
the complete session negotiation algorithm, but would allay the cheif
concern of Kurt.