[Standards] RTT: no negotiation of the feature

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Fri Jun 24 15:43:11 UTC 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Mark Rejhon wrote:

> 2011/6/24 Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be>
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Mark Rejhon <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The earlier spec covered feature negotiation via XEP-0020. However, it was
> > encouraged by a few people that spec simplification became more important,
> > and to focus chiefly on the most basic, core interop issues, at least for
> > the first published version of the specification.
>
> How about just using Disco/Caps discovery for now, as was suggested
> earlier? I think this will make most people happy, and will only add a
> few lines to the spec. See for example XEP-0085, section 4:
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html
>
> Kurt et cetra, would this be satisfactory in the short term?

Yes.

> It would at least mean XMPP RTT would now have a basic mechanism of discovering whether the other end supports RTT, and being able to restrain from sending RTT if the other end does not support RTT. This would not be the complete session negotiation algorithm, but would allay the cheif concern of Kurt.

Correct, and it would allow for fall back to unextended XMPP if RTT was not available end-to-end, which I would think quite important in emergency and deaf communications.

-- Kurt