[Standards] atom entry ids vs pubsub item ids

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Mon May 9 06:08:56 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I notice in XEP-0060 (as well as XEP-0277 and other places) that when Atom is
used with pubsub, the internal id of the entry never matches the id of the
item that contains it.

Is there a reason to do this on purpose?  The main reason I can think of is if
you didn't trust the Atom ids to be unique, for example when aggregating.
However, this mismatching complicates other use cases, like if you want to
update an existing entry.  You'd need to use the pubsub id and not the Atom
id.

Maybe I miss the point, but I think XEP-0277 should require item ids and atom
ids to match, unless someone can explain why this is not a good idea.

Thanks,
Justin