[Standards] pubsub item count

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue May 10 03:54:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

We have a need to efficiently monitor the count of items in a pubsub node.
After some brief discussion with Nathan Fritz, we decided that a simple and
clean solution is to have pubsub events include an optional count value.  This
could be done with a SHIM header:

  <header name="TotalItems">427</header>

Of course, this means that even if you only care about the count, you still
end up receiving item payloads.  But this seemed preferable to the alternative
of offering dedicated "count" nodes for every normal node.

If there are no objections, how would I go about trying to formalize such a
simple thing?

Justin