[Standards] pubsub item count

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue May 10 05:48:17 UTC 2011

jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> > If there are no objections, how would I go about trying to formalize such
> > a simple thing?
>
> Im curious why you need such a facility. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I
> just want a handle on what you're trying to do.

In our commenting application we have two use cases:

1) Displaying the number of comments (items) contained in the conversation
(node), even if the client has not actually loaded all of the comments.  For
example, maybe there are 400 items in the node, but only the first 50 (the first
"page") are loaded.  We'd still want to display "Comments: 400" at the top of
the screen.  Actually, Result Set Management would be enough to obtain that
number initially.  But we'd want this number to update, as new comments come
in.  If a person posts a comment, there would be 51 comments on the screen,
and the total should show 401.

2) Displaying a live updated comment counter in places that don't show the
conversation content at all.  For example, when listing available
conversations to the user, we'd like to show the comment count value next to
each one.  For example, one item in the list could be "Lively conversation
about XMPP!  Come join the fun.  (400 comments)".  Of course we'd like the
count value to update in real-time as comments happen. :)

Ditto for other statistics like number of followers or occupants of a
conversation.  I see these as just more pubsub nodes where the item count is
the value desired.

Justin