[Standards] Redirects in BOSH

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Tue May 10 05:52:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Evgeniy Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>wrote:

> OK, it's not a big deal to use redirects on clients, we can move that part
> on front-end servers, such as nginx. So I have a question about cookies: is
> it ok to use them? Are there any problems with them? Should we add a note
> about them in the XEP? It would be great to push some state in the cookies
> to avoid state sharing across the cluster. Also, a front-end can use them to
> make route decision without asking the back-end (XMPP server).

It won't work in practice: many clients will just ignore them.

That's the sort of thing that should be done by XMPP, not by BOSH.  BOSH is
just a transport layer; it's another way of transporting the higher-level
XMPP protocol.

Also, a problem with cookies is that they get sent by the client on every
request, whether they're relevant to the request or not.  BOSH makes a lot
of tiny requests, so using cookies will add significantly to overhead.  If
you're using TLS with compression enabled it's not a big deal, but often you
don't.

--
Glenn Maynard