[Standards] Redirects in BOSH

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:10:45 UTC 2011

10.05.2011 16:45, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Evgeniy Khramtsov<xramtsov at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> How that could be done by XMPP??? We don't even have<see-other-host/>
>> supported in the majority of clients even though that's XMPP core stuff. New
>> XEP will not change things: client developers just don't care about
>> scalability.
>>

> You don't have support for it in BOSH, either, so either way it'd be
> introducing a new feature that wouldn't be well-supported for a long time.

New feature wouldn't be supported at all, as practice shown: there were
XEP about sessions handoffs, now, who can recall it's number?

> Scaling XMPP seems straightforward: load-balance the XMPP/BOSH front ends via DNS or any
> other mechanism, and handle message routing behind the scenes.  Exposing
> that to the front-ends seems unnecessary, and just introduces ways for
> things to go wrong.)

Such scaling is not a way to go: balancing doesn't help you to much
until you have too many *shared* data across a cluster. A good approach
is taken by SIP folks: they put some pieces of state in packets using
record-routing technics and this works very good.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.