[Standards] Questions pertaining to upcoming resubmission of Real Time Text standard (0.0.2)

Joe Hildebrand joe.hildebrand at webex.com
Mon May 16 16:05:51 UTC 2011

On 5/12/11 12:22 AM, "Mark Rejhon" <markybox at gmail.com> wrote:

> -- Using numbered sufix "urn:xmpp:rtt:0"
> ADVANTAGE: Versioning by incrementing the final number;
> DISADVANTAGE: Many parser libraries make it difficult to provide
> forward/backward compatibility because they look for an exact xmlns value.
> (Example: Smack Java library).  I.e. an application would only work with a
> specific exact 'xmlns'

That is a feature.  If the version number gets incremented, your
implementation will need to process the protocols independently if you want
to have both active at the same time.  If you're able to share code between
them, that's an implementation detail, but as far as XMPP is concerned, they
are effectively two completely separate protocol extensions.

--
Joe Hildebrand