[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0220 (Server Dialback)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue May 17 20:07:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> So let's talk about solutions.
>
> 1. Child elements as in 0.9:
>
> <stream:features>
>  <dialback xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback'>
>    <errors/>
>  </dialback>
> </stream:features>

I'm not opposed to this, I think. It has the advantage of not breaking
the existing implementations.

> 2. Versioning:
>
> <stream:features>
>  <dialback xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback:1'>
>    <errors/>
>  </dialback>
> </stream:features>

This one *does* break all existing implementations of dialback, which
seems to me like a bad thing.

> 3. More features:
>
> <stream:features>
>  <dialback-errors xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback:errors'/>
> </stream:features>

This one breaks existing dialback error implementations, but not
general dialback implementations. This one doesn't seem particularly
harmful, compared to (2), and I'll go along with the majority if it's
what's deemed sensible.

/K