[Standards] dialback feature

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:08:50 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011 16:26, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> So here is what I proposed during the XMPP Council meeting:
>
> <stream:features>
>  <dialback xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback'/>
> </stream:features>

Smart idea. Unfortunately it has a slight issue - in that there are
implementations in the wild that advertise with the stream feature but
don't support errors (Prosody, for example).

If I could go and remove the feature from all the deployed instances
right now I wouldn't hesitate, but obviously I can't...

This is a problem because Prosody also doesn't support "Multiplexing
Target Domains" which says: "The Originating Server SHOULD NOT use
Target Piggybacking unless the Receiving Server has signalled support
for dialback error handling via <stream:features/> as described under
Dialback with Error Handling.".

Therefore changing the spec as proposed would leave other
implementations to the assumption that Prosody implements target
piggybacking, which it does not.

I'm not sure what the best solution is yet, but I'll keep pondering.

Regards,
Matthew