[Standards] updated Sensors proposal

Charles Spirakis css at google.com
Wed May 18 21:39:14 UTC 2011

Great! We would love to get some additional feedback regarding the
sensor portion while we consider the comments regarding the actuation
portion.

For a "read-only" sensor network, the only difference would be to not
implement (or respond to) the <TransdcuerSetValue/> tag. No other
change to the proposed spec would be needed for the sensor-only use
case.

There is a sample client library in java that fully implements the
proposed spec available at the CMU svn repository (open source, apache
license):

svn checkout svn://sensor.andrew.cmu.edu:/srv/svn/repos/sensor-andrew/sox

which can be used as a reference if interested. The java client
library code is at .../sox/lib/lib_java and the java examples that use
that library are at .../sox/examples. Feel free to ignore the
TransducerSetValue.java file and any examples that use that tag :) The
java client library code is known to work with recent versions of both
ejabberd and openfire xmpp servers.

As the conversation regarding actuation moves forward, we'll be trying
to keep that java implementation up to date. We are also working on a
C/C++ library but it is not yet ready.

-- charles