[Standards] Namespace versioning

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu May 19 12:23:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:43:56PM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Since I think this'd be the third time this month I'd try to explain
> namespace versioning, please just read the attached.

I read it and I agree to everything it says. Use new namespace version
when the protocol becomes incompatible. I am just still not sure this is
the case. Probably because I am not quite up to date with current XMPP
development (including the current status the dialback XEP) and my
answer was mostly caused by my current frustration with the legacy
namespace mess ;) So, I guess I have overreacted and confused two
different namespaces in use (one of the stream and one in the features
– I think I understand the reasons for having two of them here).

Anyway, an informational XEP about XMPP namespace usage is a very good
idea, I am surprised we don't have one yet.

Greets,
        Jacek