[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Last Message Correction

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 10:14:52 UTC 2011

That may perhaps be the case, and I look forward to reading your
thoughts on the matter, but I strongly believe this functionality
should not have a history limit of 1. If one were to place a numeric
limit on it, it should be more like 10, but that is also totally
arbitrary.

In any case, a numeric limit of any value will not make sense in a
busy MUC room where your last message might have disappeared into
scrollback long ago. I believe Skype does something along the lines of
only allowing editing messages within the current chat session (though
wether that is a UI or protocol enforcement, who knows?). Perhaps that
would be appropriate here.

The question then is, who is responsible for enforcing that policy. At
the moment, the spec requires no server support, and I think it should
stay that way.

Regards,
Ben Langfeld