[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Last Message Correction

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 10:25:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Ben Langfeld <ben at langfeld.co.uk> wrote:
> Because it's more general. "Last" implies that it's not possible to
> modify prior messages, which is not explicitly prohibited by the
> specification, nor should it be. For that reason, "last" is not as
> clear as "previous", and is perhaps even confusing.

I'll buy this, to an extent.

The previous version of the protoXEP, which I sent out for discussion
quite some time ago, explicitly discussed models for both
last-message-only editing and any-old-message editing. There was a
significant amount of controversy over whether any-old-message was
acceptable. My current version attempts to address this by presenting
a method used for correcting the last message, but with a protocol
form that is applicable to editing older messages. My intention is
that if you discover this namespace, you know there is support for
last message editing, and that we can define a new (disco) namespace
to say that you support editing of older messages.

TL;DR: I'm happy with exposing old-message editing, but I think it's
important to also explicitly say "I support last message editing" with
no implication that you may also allow older message editing.

We could add the new discovery namespace into either this document or another.

/K