[Standards] Account Management protoXEP

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 9 15:58:51 UTC 2011

On Wed Nov  9 14:46:19 2011, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> > For changing passwords, on the other hand, I don't see a need to
> change from
> > XEP-0077.
>
> I don't know if this is because servers or clients (or both?) do not
> implement this part of XEP-0077 but I personally never saw any
> client
> where I could change my password with XEP-0077 (only with ad-hoc
> command that several servers implement).
> And even if some did, all the reasons are the one I listed, mainly
> for security.

Openfire, M-Link,ejabberd, and probably others, just from memory.

Psi, Gajim, and again probably others support it on clients.

So XEP-0077 for password changing is well supported, and indeed state
of the art. I agree it could be done better, more securely, and more
flexibly, but as I say elsewhere this needs a foundation which the
XSF is not qualified to provide.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/