[Standards] NEW: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)- Interop with XEP 0301 RTT

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Fri Nov 11 23:09:57 UTC 2011

I agree that for scenario 1, replace in message mode, XEP-0301 and
XEP-0308 seems to be able to co-exist without any change. The real-time
text user will find it a bit unexpected that a complete previous message
is suddenly replaced, without a sign of the other party doing editing.
But it is possible.

For scenario 2, real-time text editing in previous messages, I would
like to explore this a bit more.

Mark says: "2. Allow real time text (RTT) to occur with previous
messages.  I would add an optional 'id' attribute to <rtt> elements.  "

I can imagine that the action will be something like this:
1.The transmitting user positions the cursor to a point in the previous
message, and start adding, deleting or replacing some text.
2.That should generate messages with <rtt> elements and <id> elements at
1 second intervals as long as changes are made.
3. When the change of the message is complete, the transmitting user
That finalizes the change.
and the display will be done to show that a new message is started after
all earlier.

Questions:
a. Would we need to retransmit the message up to the point of change in
the first <rtt> element to be sure that it can be displayed correctly,
or can we just start with the positioning or first modification within
that message?

b. Can we keep the description about Last Message real-time correction
by <rtt> completely within XEP-0301, and let the implementor understand
that the modified message <body>  after all <rtt> elements shall be sent
with a <replaces> and<id> element? Or do we need to mention XEP-0301 in
XEP-0308 and XEP-0308 in XEP-0301 and synchronize their approvals?

Regards
Gunnar