[Standards] I18N and disco#items

Mike Wacker mwacker66 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:23:03 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 1:38 PM, Matthew A. Miller wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:51, Mike Wacker wrote:

>>> XMPP is an XML technology, thus xml:lang is allowed on any element. Naturally, we could add an example of that to XEP-0030.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> 4.4, Relationship Between an Entity and its Items, says that for one possible relationship, "Upon querying an entity (JID1) for items, one receives a list of items that cannot be addressed as JIDs; each associated item has its own JID+node, where each JID equals JID1 and each NodeID is unique."
>>
>> But if we account for xml:lang, then we would potentially need multiple items with the same NodeID but different languages, meaning NodeID will not be unique if we want to localize the item. This is similar to disco#info where (category, type, xml:lang) is the uniqueness key for an identity.
> That would be a rather significant change to a draft specification.  I know quite a few implementations that would break in there were a<item jid='darkcave at chat' name='A dark cave' xml:lang='en'/>  and<item jid='' name='Anns dorcha uamh' xml:lang='gd'/>.
>
> Unfortunately, I think we'll have to live with the inclusion of an xml:lang identifies the localization of that 'name' attribute value, but not extend it in the same way as<identity/>.
>

> - m&m
> <http://goo.gl/LK55L>

Makes sense, a part of me though that may be the ultimate outcome,
especially since XEP-0030 is already listed as Final. If there is a
really compelling need to localize the item name into several languages,
we would probably have to settle for an additional XEP to solve that
problem. But until that day comes we can just let it be for now.

Still, it would be useful to keep this in mind should for future XEPs
with natural-language text.

Mike