[Standards] XEP-0258 and XEP-0060

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Thu Nov 17 18:53:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 10:38 +0000, Ashley Ward wrote:
> I am currently looking into the possibility of extending the use of
> security labels to pub sub, and was wondering if anyone else has any
> thoughts on this, or whether anyone has already started looking at
> this.

In general, I think this would be mostly identical to the Multi-User
Chat use case in section 5.2.

> I have only just started looking at this, but have identified a couple
> of features:
>       * The ability to assign a security label to a pub sub <item>
>         element when publishing

A service sending out notifications that are accompanied by security
labels is pretty straightforward: they are simply messages, so you can
put the <securitylabel/> element as a sibling of the <event/> element,
just like normal chat messages or group-chat messages.

Sending this along with the publish request is somewhat more involved.
Publish requests are <iq/> stanzas, which can have only one child
element. So, I think you would need to put the <securitylabel/> somewhat
lower in the element tree. For example, as a subelement of the
<publish/> element.

In any case, you would need cooperation of the publish-subscribe service
to have it send that along with the notification, and trust that service
to do the right thing on behalf of the publisher and the node's
configuration. I.e. discover the clearance levels of subscribers and
only send stuff to subscribers that have proper clearance.

> The ability for a node owner to set a default security label for a
> node

This would probably be very similar to the examples of MUC room
configuration.

--
ralphm