[Standards] XEP-0258 and XEP-0060

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Mon Nov 21 20:43:30 UTC 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 2:52 AM, Ashley Ward wrote:

>> Finally, I'd point (back) to my Last Call comments - from back when
>> the specification *did* have a PubSub section - where I pointed out
>> that the catalogue work needs work to cover not only jid, but
>> jid+node. Not a major change, but a change nonetheless.
>
> I didn't realise this used to be I the spec! I've just read the old spec
> (v0.9) and it's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of above (with the
> <securitylabel/> within the <item/> which violates the schema for pubsub).
> I guess it was removed at that time because it's actually not that easy!

PubSub Security label spec was removed from XEP 258 simply because I and others did not believe it had enough implementation experience to garner Draft status.

It's my intent to reintroduce the spec as a separate XEP 258 and, at least initially, without significant syntax or semantical changes to the spec.

I'll consider the possibility of adding siblings to the <item/> in the <items/> element.  But I hate order dependent stuff.  I rather use some id= attributes (on the item) and a target= attributes on the associated meta-data element to link them... and just suggest they be sent together.

As far as Dave's concern about changing labels, I note that we do need to well support item visibility changes in XEP 60.  I don't have any specific suggestions on how here.

-- Kurt