[Standards] Proposed changes to XEP-0135

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:41:23 UTC 2011

On 27 November 2011 03:50, Jefry Lagrange <jefry.reyes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I been working on some changes to XEP-0135.
>
> * Replacing SI file transfer with jingle FT

Good :)

> * Replacing section 6, with a link pointing to section 5 of XEP-0234,
> which already covers the same function.

Makes sense.

> * Adding support for pubsub, only for finding files using the method I
> introduce bellow. It doesn't make much sense to traverse the directory
> of every user subscribed to a pubsub, but it will make a lot of sense
> searching for specific files. (XEP-0137 does not suffice for this)

Agreed.

> 5.5 Finding Specific Files
>
> Finding files by asking for a file list is not very practical if there
> are too many files being shared. It is very resource intensive and it
> is understood that the user may not be interested in all of the files,
> but rather he or she would be interested in finding one specific file
> or one specific kind of file (text, image or videos).
>
> In order to do this, the identity stanza is used to match files by one
> or more fields i.e. 'name', 'date', 'size', etc...
>
> Example XX. Finding Specific Files
>
> <iq type='get'
>    from='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'
>    to='darkcave at shakespeare.lit'
>    id='find45'>
>  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
>         node='files'>
>     <identity category='filesys' type='file' name='file1' />
>  </query>
> </iq>

I'm not sure it's a good idea to overload the disco request this way.
Perhaps having the filter in a separate namespace would be ok, but I
think perhaps it would be better to use another protocol for this.

> Example XX. Finding files using Regular Expressions

Another useful feature, but I even more strongly feel this shouldn't
be done over disco.

> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I just want to know if I am
> on the right track here.

Absolutely, I'd love to see this spec revived. I look forward to
seeing a new XEP draft :)

Regards,
Matthew