[Standards] PubSub (XEP-0060) Node Discovery and Service Delegation (XEP-0291)

João Miguel Gonçalves joao-m-goncalves at ptinovacao.pt
Wed Nov 30 19:27:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,
In my team we are using XMPP in a few new (and sometimes awkward) scenarios, both for an internal project and for a collaborative research project (http://www.ict-societies.eu/). This project's results include open source code, so implementations of some XEPs may come along.
In one of the scenarios we need to find a PubSub (XEP-0060) service (component JID) and node based on some metadata. Example: we want to find where user me at jmgoncalv.es<mailto:me at jmgoncalv.es> publishes his http://jabber.org/protocol/tune information. We are not using PEP, and this would potentially be extended to discover where the user publishes any information based on some namespace with associated semantics.
I haven't found any extension that addresses this, although Service Delegation (XEP-0291) comes close. The problem with Service Delegation is that it only solves finding the service JID, not the node. Also there is a lot to be defined in that spec (it is Experimental at the moment), namely I haven't found a formal definition for the "service" element. Also, I haven't found any guidelines for how to use the "type" attribute, and it surprises me that a  "feature var"-like approach wasn't taken there.

Can someone point me to some spec I missed, that might be of interest?
What is the take on XEP-0291? Would you see it fulfilling this use case?
Thanks,

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CCAF96.179A5FD0]
João Miguel Ribeiro Gonçalves
IEX1 - Exploratory Innovation: Platforms and Networks
Tel: +351 964975394