[Standards] MUC: timed affiliations

Florent Le Coz louiz at louiz.org
Mon Sep 5 13:36:47 UTC 2011

[sending that message also on standards@, since apparently that’s where
the discussion took place]

On 22/08/2011 20:10, Alexander Holler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thinking about fully-anonymous rooms, I've come to the conclusion that
> timed outcasts would be a solution to the problem how to handle
> outcasts without revealing the effected JID in the list of outcasts
> (otherwise you can't remove an outcast done by using a nick only).
>
> Beeing a long time IRC user, I've often seen that a concept of timed
> affiliation could be usefull for other reasons too.

I think timed affiliations could be useful. Having a way to ban someone
for a defined time is a good feature, for example.

> So here are my thoughts about that:
>
> To implement that, a new attribute 'until' is introduced which
> contains an absolute time in the format of XEP-0082 using UTC as
> timezone.
>
> E.g. to set a timed affiliation:
>
> ------------------------------------
> <iq from='owner1 at home.test/pda'
> id='ban1'
> to='room1 at chat.example.com'
> type='set'>
> <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin'>
> <item nick='pistol' affiliation='outcast' until='2011-08-22T23:59:59Z'>
> <reason>Avaunt, you cullion!</reason>
> </item>
> </query>
> </iq>
>
> In a list of affiliations the attribute 'until' should appear in
> 'items' too.

Seems fine for me.

> Rules:
>
> Every new affiliation setting changes the one before, may it be an
> timed affiliation or a standard affiliation.
>
> If a timed affiliation reaches it's end of life, the affiliation
> changes as in the table below and the role (if the entity is currently
> an occupant) will be changed accordingly.
>
> Room Type | Outcast | Member | Admin | Owner
> Moderated | None | None | Member | Member
> Unmoderated | None | None | None | None
> Members-Only | None | None | Member | Member
> Open | None | None | None | None
>
> The two changes from admin or owner to member are there so that a
> temporary admin (or owner) will afterwards still have membership (to
> still have voice or to still stay in the room).
>
> It's discussible if timed affiliations of type owner should be even
> allowed, I tend to disallow them completely.
>
> As feature something like muc#timed-affiliations could be used.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander Holler

Wouldn’t it be better to just reset the affiliation to the previous one?

For example, with your proposal, if you ban a member for, say, 10
minutes, she will come back with no affiliation. That can be disturbing
and I don’t see why that would be the prefered way.
Reseting the affiliation to the one that was set before seems more
logical and useful to me.

I don’t know if that could be integrated in XEP 0045 or as an separated
XEP, but I think this is simple and short enough to be included in 0045.

--
Florent Le Coz