[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Tue Sep 6 07:24:42 UTC 2011

Am 05.09.2011 13:00, schrieb Dave Cridland:
> On Wed Aug 31 18:41:15 2011, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> Just to summarize the problems I see with those requests (to change
>> affiliation):
>> 2. The service has to parse and translate every request into a form
>> which is then presented to moderators. The service has to replace all
>> labels and has to check every type.
>>
>> And because I think there should be standardized way for those
>> requests I don't see why using a form for such a request offers any
>> benefit over something like this:
>> -----
>> <message from='user2 at example.com/box'
>> to='room2 at chat.example.com'>
>> <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#request' type='submit'>
>> <item affiliation='member' nick='someone'/>
>> </x>
>> </message>
>> -----
>>

> A form would allow the addition of a CAPTCHA, for instance.
>

>> In both cases the service has to generate a form which is then
>> send/presented to moderators, but parsing _and_ verifying something
>> like the above message is much easier than parsing _and_ verifying a
>> form.
>
> Not especially, actually. There is an issue with hidden fields,
> possibly, but those are pretty trivial to deal with.

I don't see any reason why the user should send a form to the server.

If using a form is wanted, the correct way would be that the user
requests a form for the request from the server, and sends back the
result, which is then processed by the server (resulting in a form for
the moderator).

The described way where the user generates a form only makes sense, if
that form is forwarded to the moderator. But that would result in the
possible problems I've described (e.g. hidden fields and wrong labels).

Regards,

Alexander