[Standards] Proposal for XEP-0302

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Mon Sep 12 23:37:36 UTC 2011

 Hi,

I'd like to propose XEP-0084 User Avatar to be included for the advanced client in the 2012 compliance suite. The vcard-temp-based avatars are a huge legacy that I'd be very delighted to see gone. User Avatar is already supported in all libpurple-based clients and I believe in others as well (unfortunately, Psi uses an incompatible old version of the protocol), and it's much easier to implement than XEP-0153.
I'm fine with vcard-temp being in there until XEP-0292 is no longer experimental, but avatars should move forward.

Right now, the Facebook and GTalk servers only support XEP-0153, which is very unfortunate.

By the way, I think it's a bit strange to require PEP in the advanced client, but not a single PEP-based XEP. A client that supports PEP but no protocol based on it is not distinguishable from a client that does not support PEP at all.

Regards,
Andreas Monitzer