[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0220 (Server Dialback)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Sep 19 17:03:44 UTC 2011

> On 7/7/11 2:51 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:

>>> Kev, I've thought about this some more and I think it's OK to retain this:
>>>
>>> <stream:features>
>>>  <dialback xmlns='urn:xmpp:features:dialback'>
>>>    <errors/>
>>>  </dialback>
>>> </stream:features>
>>>
>>> That's what we've had since version 0.5 of the spec, published on
>>> 2010-03-18. I don't like it and I think we need to add a note that this
>>> is not the recommended way of defining stream features so that other
>>> specs won't emulate this approach, but the protocol hygiene is just not
>>> important enough to me here.
>>
>> I'm happy with notes saying that this is the Wrong Thing to do, and we
>> can even give a footnote of what the Right Way is, if we want.
>
> I'll work up some text along those lines for review on the list.

My apologies for the delay. I propose that we add the following
paragraph at the end of Section 5.2:

   As a general rule, stream feature elements containing child elements
   that advertise particular sub-features are not encouraged. The
   format shown above is used for the sake of backward compatiblity
   with existing implementations and deployments.

https://stpeter.im/