[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Sep 19 18:35:44 UTC 2011

On 8/31/11 11:41 AM, Alexander Holler wrote:
> Just to summarize the problems I see with those requests (to change
> affiliation):
>
> 1. I haven't found out how the user has to build such an request. E.g.
> the request for voice as described in the XEP doesn't work with either
> ejabberd or M-Link ( or I did something wrong during my short tests ;) ).
>
> 2. The service has to parse and translate every request into a form
> which is then presented to moderators. The service has to replace all
> labels and has to check every type.
>
> And because I think there should be standardized way for those requests
> I don't see why using a form for such a request offers any benefit over
> something like this:
> -----
> <message from='user2 at example.com/box'
>          to='room2 at chat.example.com'>
>   <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#request' type='submit'>
>     <item affiliation='member' nick='someone'/>
>   </x>
> </message>
> -----
>
> In both cases the service has to generate a form which is then
> send/presented to moderators, but parsing _and_ verifying something like
> the above message is much easier than parsing _and_ verifying a form.

I see no compelling reason to change this. I might see a reason to
remove the feature entirely, if no one supports it. At this point in the
life cycle of XEP-0045, we're trying to clean up some minor problems and
clarify some issues for implementers, not make any changes of
significance, and certainly not merely for the sake of consistency or
elegance.

https://stpeter.im/