[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Mon Sep 19 22:25:56 UTC 2011

Am 19.09.2011 20:49, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
> On 8/18/11 3:00 PM, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> Am 18.08.2011 15:43, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
>>> I've completed a round of revisions to XEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat) in an
>>> effort to incorporate developer feedback I've received since the last
>>> version 3 years ago. The XMPP Council would like to vote on these
>>> revisions before the end of September or possibly early October, so it
>>> would be great if folks could check the diff in the next few weeks:
>>>
>>> http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0045/diff/1.24/vs/1.25rc5
>>>
>>> A rendered version is here:
>>>
>>> http://xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0045-1.25.html
>>
>> Thanks for the update. I will try to read (again) as much as I can.
>>
>> At first I would strongly  suggest to replace at least that 'oldhag'
>> which is e.g. used for a new nick with something else. I've wondered
>> some minutes when I first read that example in 7.6 until I have read
>> further.
>>
>> For other people like me, who like stupid looking but easy to read docs,
>> here is something I've done to my copy of XEP-0045 (.example and .test
>> are reserved by RFC 2606):
>>
>> ---------------------
>> sed \
>> -e 's/chat.shakespeare.lit/chat.example/g' \
>> -e 's/shakespeare.lit/home.test/g' \
>> -e 's/firstwitch/occupant1owner/g' \
>> -e 's/secondwitch/occupant2admin/g' \
>> -e 's/thirdwitch/occupant3none/g' \
>> -e 's/crone1/user1owner/g' \
>> -e 's/wiccarocks/user2admin/g' \
>> -e 's/hag66/user3none/g' \
>> -e 's/oldhag/newnick/g' \
>> -e 's/coven/room1/g' \
>> -i xep-0045.html
>> ---------------------
>>
>> ;=)
>
> Fun Shakespeare examples have kept me motivated in writing all this
> documentation for the last 10+ years. I won't be changing them now.

Than, maybe, just bringing the examples in section 9 in line with the
rest of the documentation is an option. Using the above sed is a good
way to see the problematic examples. E.g. the example in 9.1 will change
from

-------------------
<iq from='kinghenryv at shakespeare.lit/throne'
     id='ban1'
     to='southampton at henryv.shakespeare.lit'
     type='set'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin'>
     <item affiliation='outcast'
           jid='earlofcambridge at shakespeare.lit'/>
   </query>
</iq>
-------------------

-------------------
<iq from='kinghenryv at home.test/throne'
     id='ban1'
     to='southampton at henryv.home.test'
     type='set'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#admin'>
     <item affiliation='outcast'
           jid='earlofcambridge at home.test'/>
   </query>
</iq>

I don't remember which examples really confused me most during my first
reading, but that one is surely one of those candidates because it isn't
obvious what is room, service, occupant or real JID. The problem will
become obvious (through the sed) because all JIDs are at home.test. ;)

Regards,

Alexander