[Standards] Account Management protoXEP

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Wed Sep 21 19:17:45 UTC 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:10, Remko Tronçon wrote:

>> For both account management and registration, using the ad-hoc framework
>> seems most sensible - it would allow us maximum flexibility as well as
>> near-instant deployment.
>
> I don't think registration fits the ad-hoc use case, because it is a
> special action outside of the general session flow, which means you
> can't rely on it being accessed from the generic "Execute ad-hoc
> command" functionality of a client. That's why i think such a thing
> should probably get a dedicated protocol (on top of data forms).
>
> That said, I agree with Kurt that the need for in-band registration is
> probably not very high, because of typical out-of-band registrations
> these days. So I'm also inclined to suggest to develop a XEP for
> account management without registration, and possibly base it on
> ad-hoc commands.
>
> Putting account management in ad-hoc commands means that we don't
> expect clients to have a "Change password" button, but instead go
> through the server provided "Change account settings" dialog. It takes
> away power from the client (it won't be able to add fancy things like
> password strength measurers), but it gives more power to the server to
> provide a UI (e.g. instructions) that fit it, and it saves client
> development time :-)

If it's a well-defined FORM_TYPE, a client could do something fancy for the well-defined fields (e.g. {urn:xmpp:acct-mgmt:0:dataforms:update}newpass gets a special strength meter nearby), and an "advanced" button/tab/overlay/etc for the non-standard things.

It might not be trivial, but it is possible (-:

- m&m
<http://goo.gl/voEzk>