[Standards] admin->none, what happens to user if in member-only room

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:51:00 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 00:46, Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>

>> However I would consider it reasonable in a members-only room for
>> removal from the Owners List or the Admins List to result in adding that
>> person to the Members List.
>
> The client could offer you that option, possibly as its default.
>
> But let's talk wire semantics.

Wire semantics are simple. A members-only room cannot contain someone
with an affiliation of 'none'. Therefore if you set someone's
affiliation to 'none' they must be removed from the room, regardless
of what affiliation they had prior to the 'none' affiliation.

Peter is correct too, in that it doesn't make much sense to kick an
admin from the room just because they lost their admin rights. But in
this case it's up to the client to do the right thing (make them a
member) instead.

I think your difference is in whether "you" are the user or the
client. The user can expect that removing someone from the admin list
keeps them in the room, the client can expect that setting an
affiliation to 'none' kicks them from the room.

Regards,
Matthew