[Standards] admin->none, what happens to user if in member-only room

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.COM
Thu Sep 22 01:02:51 UTC 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:

> On 22 September 2011 00:46, Kurt Zeilenga <Kurt.Zeilenga at isode.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>

>>> However I would consider it reasonable in a members-only room for
>>> removal from the Owners List or the Admins List to result in adding that
>>> person to the Members List.
>>
>> The client could offer you that option, possibly as its default.
>>
>> But let's talk wire semantics.
>
> Wire semantics are simple. A members-only room cannot contain someone
> with an affiliation of 'none'. Therefore if you set someone's
> affiliation to 'none' they must be removed from the room, regardless
> of what affiliation they had prior to the 'none' affiliation.
>
> Peter is correct too, in that it doesn't make much sense to kick an
> admin from the room just because they lost their admin rights. But in
> this case it's up to the client to do the right thing (make them a
> member) instead.

So we're agreeing on what we expect from the server…

So, back to my concern, I don't think XEP 45 section 10.7 is all that clear in that it doesn't distinguish a move to member affiliation from a move to none, which leads to different actions for member-only rooms.   A reader could easily take the example as applies in all cases.   And I have a particular reader whose done just that, it seems.  Which is why I suggest it might be appropriate to add some clarification to section 10.7.

-- Kurt