[Standards] Suggestion for XEP-0045 : permit alias for the MUC address

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Sat Sep 24 08:48:44 UTC 2011

Hello,

Am 23.09.2011 23:19, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
> On 9/23/11 3:17 PM, EcliptuX wrote:

>>> The specification doesn't restrict the addresses -- I have seen
>>> conference.jabber.org, muc.xmpp.org, rooms.swift.im, etc.
>>
>> I think I was not clear :)
>>
>> I have an active room named salon at conference.onnouscachetout.com
>> I regret the choice of the term "conference"
>
> I regret the choice of "conference.jabber.org" many years ago, too, but
> it's the best that Peter Millard and I could come up with at the time.
>
>> and I want to change it to
>> a shorter one as "muc"
>> I want to have my room on salon at muc.onnouscachetout.com, but I want to
>> keep the old one working ! I don't want to disturb my guests !
>>
>> So, I really want an alias of @conference.onnouscachetout.com to
>> @muc.onnouscachetout.com
>>
>> And it's look like the XEP-0045 don't support this fonctionnality yet :)
>
> In general we don't have JID aliasing. However, this is probably
> something that your MUC implementation could do for you -- I don't think
> it's a spec issue but a deployment issue.

How should a server handle that? What should be used as 'from' for
messages without confusing clients?

If such should work servers and clients have to changed to be able to
handle JID-aliases. And that isn't something which is done with changing
a few lines and isn't (imho) worth the time needed.

Regards,

Alexander