[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Waqas Hussain waqas20 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 19:53:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 9/20/11 6:00 PM, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:

>>> If you test more implementations and find that none of them support the
>>> feature (and the developers say they have no plans to implement the
>>> feature), then it might make sense to remove the feature from the spec.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> We have a patch and we are going to include it in the new ejabberd
>> version. Please don't remove the feature from the spec.
>
> Cool, thanks for letting us know. I won't touch that part of the spec. :)

I note that this feature has no disco feature defined. Given that
no-one seems to have deployed this yet, we need a way to discover
support.

I propose the features http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#request and
http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#register

Also, it's worth considering moving this (nick register, registration
approval, voice request) out of XEP-0045, and into an XEP of its own.
As far as I see, MUC implementations have up until now treated this is
an optional secondary part of the main MUC spec. The new XEP could
also include text about service-level nick registrations, which is
what it currently implemented and deployed, and can have interesting
interactions with room-level registration.

I do intend to implement these in Prosody.

P.S. An important thing in this is the room requesting additional
information. One obvious example is captcha support. How should that
flow? The room should send a captcha form IQ-set or message to the
requester?

--
Waqas Hussain