[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Waqas Hussain waqas20 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:38:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 9/24/11 1:53 PM, Waqas Hussain wrote:
>>
>> I note that this feature has no disco feature defined.
>
> MUC does not have the plethora of disco features that PubSub has. You
> decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
>
>> Given that
>> no-one seems to have deployed this yet, we need a way to discover
>> support.
>
> Do we want or need to define fine-grained disco features for XEP-0045?
> And if so, why limit the new features to just this one?

Many clients enable/disable/hide UI elements based on what is
allowed/supported. The argument for having these particular features
discoverable and not all others is that most other non-discoverable
features are available in pretty much all server implementations.
These features however are not present on existing servers. Clients
should therefore only be showing UI elements when the features are
known to be available. Doing otherwise is going to annoy users when it
fails after they've put in the effort of filling in a form and
submitting it, with no previous indication that it wasn't supported.

--
Waqas Hussain