[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Unique Room Names for Multi-User Chat

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Sep 27 16:10:57 UTC 2011

On 9/27/11 10:07 AM, Kurt Zeilenga wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 8:35 AM, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Unique Room Names for Multi-User Chat
>>
>> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for requesting a unique room ID from a multi-user chat service.

>> The XMPP Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this proposal as an official XEP.
>>

> Would be nice if this spec would offer some rationale for the introduction of this extension…

It's simply being moved from XEP-0045 to a standalone spec (perhaps,
i.e., if people still think it's useful).

> and it would be good if the spec stated that return of a name does not imply the name is reserved in way.

In order to be useful, the room ID would need to be reserved for some
period of time, no?

By the way, I think this feature needs to be deprecated. I submitted
this ProtoXEP only to foster discussion on this list (previous
discussion happened on the muc at xmpp.org list).

https://stpeter.im/