[Standards] request for reviews: XEP-0045 v1.25rc5

Alexander Holler holler at ahsoftware.de
Thu Sep 29 16:50:08 UTC 2011

Am 28.09.2011 19:25, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
> On 9/28/11 2:04 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> On Tue Sep 27 22:28:49 2011, Alexander Holler wrote:
>>> Hmm, doesn't forwarding IQs be a problem for semianonymous rooms?
>>> Especially for things like vcard?
>>
>> Indeed; M-Link actually turns these off by defaultfor users who are
>> anonymous (but has a configurable to turn them back on).
>>
>> Some clients request the vCard directly from the real jid if they see
>> one, which effectively means that forwarding vCard requests to
>> non-anonymous particpants rarely happens. In general, this is worth
>> recommending, I think (and poses no new protocol, which is nicer).
>
> Isn't that handled by the existing text in Section 16.4?
>
> If an occupant wants to send an IQ stanza to another user in a
> non-anonymous room, the sender SHOULD send the request directly to
> the recipient's bare JID or full JID, rather than attempting to send
> the request through the room (i.e., via the recipient's room JID).

Question is why forwading IQs should be needed.

I don't see any reason for that.

If a client knows the real JID of another occupant, he can use that. If
he doesn't know the real JID, it has reason and forwarding might be
dangerous without using a whitelist which defines what's ok to forward.
And such a whitelist is doomed to be incomplete.

Regards,

Alexander