[Standards] We need to extend XEP-0080. (XMPP and Next Generation 9-1-1 / i3 / geolocation)

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Tue Apr 3 02:49:17 UTC 2012

Mark Rejhon skrev 2012-04-02 23:40:
>   While there is a location extensions available in XMPP with
> XEP-0080 it is not equivalent to the functionality listed
> above.  XEP-0080 offers a different civic location format and
> geodetic location based on a reduced set of loation shapes.  It uses
> an XML encoding and allows this information to be conveyed in XMPP. *A
> table with a mapping to the PIDF-LO semantic is provided in XEP-0080
> but unfortunately since the functionality is not equivalent to the
> list presented above there will be _a loss of information_ during
> the lifecyle of location handling in most of the scenarios.*
> --------
Right. You would want a format that is as close as possible to what RFC
4119 describes.
And that in turn refers to GML 3.0 for the non-civic forms of location.

I see a small possibility in XEP-0080.
The last element is an URI.
That could be used as a pointer to a location by reference in the RFC
4119 format.

It seems that RFC 6442 prefers location by reference for the SIP case,
so that may be the case for XMPP as well.

/Gunnar Hellström