[Standards] XEP-0301 -- embedding small illustrative animated GIF into spec

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:46:44 UTC 2012

Note: Precedent on image embeds exists -- an example image is embedded into
XHTML-IM (XEP-0071).

On 2012-08-01 8:53 AM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 7/23/12 1:17 PM, Mark Rejhon wrote:
>
> > [Question]
> > Understood -- animation really helps explains real-time text, if they
> > haven't seen it before.
> > Can we use a more well-known site (i.e. realtimetext.org
> > <http://realtimetext.org>?) since we can put my animations there too?
> >  Alternatively, can we embed an image, like XEP-0071 has an embedded
> > image?  (If I make a generic animation, and convert it to animated GIF
> > format)
>
> I think it would be great to host a sample animated GIF at xmpp.org, for
> archival purposes.

For now, I have switched it to realtimetext.org in the already-published
v0.6, but an embed (found in certain XEP's) would be even more preferable,
though it obviously would have to be very small and very generic, which
probably requires it to be hand-made or a special RealJabber mod.

Examples animations I have already made, which are probably not suitable,
but useful to see:

1. My animation of key press intervals
http://www.realjabber.org/anim/real_time_text_demo.html
- too big
- too non-generic

2. Facebook-style concept animation
http://www.realjabber.org/anim/facebook_chat_concept.gif
- closer to correct size
- but too non-generic

3. The animation on cover page
http://www.realjabber.org
- still too non-generic
- this was my first animation ever

So, that means:
As I will have to hand-make a genericization (something suitable even for a
Wikipedia page, for the 'real-time text' entry)...
...If no other people at XSF objects technically to an image embed, what
are the recommended criteria for an image embed in XEP-0301 demoing generic
real time text:
- minimal GUI elements (OS neutral)
- small size
- romeo/juliet names (recommended)