[Standards] XEP-0301 -- embedding small illustrative animated GIF into spec

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 15:19:32 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-01 11:08 AM, "Matthew Miller" <linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> wrote:

> I have concerns embedding something into a document that reduces its
printability.  As archaic as this sounds, I often print specifications in
order to review them!

> That said, I'm not immediately opposed to it, but would approach with
caution. The text is still the record of authority here.

Gotcha.  Anyone else opposed, and prefer I refer to realtimetext.org only?
The text already written, will continue to be an authority in attempting to
explain real time text in less than a thousand words in the Introduction
paragraph :-)

A strategic first-frame (the frame that normally gets printed by all major
browsers) may show both sender/recipients aware of each other's typing.  It
would mean the animation essentially starts mid-conversation, but it can
also loop. (After a delay, or a maximum loop count)

The image would be somewhere in Introduction, the first anyone may read
even before printing, and serve the "aha, that is what it is" purpose. The
words will continue to try its best, so the spec can be used without the
image.

Then again, contuing to referencing a website for animation has other
merits (pros and cons)

I'll go with what XSF is most likely to prefer, in general.  It is indeed,
a technology, that even a 5 second animation benefits.