[Standards] FW: pubsub question related to notification events

Tuomas Koski koski.tuomas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:44:34 UTC 2012

Hi Todd,

On 3 August 2012 17:16, Todd Herman <todd at apx-labs.com> wrote:
>>I have been reviewing XEP-0060 (pubsub) and have come across something that
>> is bothering me.
>
>>Throughout the document, notification events are highlighted and discussed.
>> The events come as a Message element with a child Event element that is in
>> the jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event >namespace.  This is the case for
>> nearly every event notification until you get to the very end of section 8
>> in the document.
>
>>8.9.4 describes the notification event for an affiliation change.  However,
>> this event notification is a Message stanza with a Pubsub child element
>> (rather than an Event element).  I would like to >understand why it is this
>> way.  The section above it, 8.8.4, covers subscription notifications (very
>> similar in nature to the affiliations) and it is under an Event element.
>
>>Could someone tell me if there is a specific reason for it being setup this
>> way?  If their isn’t, I would like to submit that “affiliation” be added
>> under the Event namespace (similar to subscription) and >section 8.9.4 be
>> updated accordingly.
>
> I am resending this message from yesterday because we really need a
> response.  I don’t want to move away from the specification but we want to
> code this in a manner that makes sense.  We currently use OpenFire and
> OpenFire doesn’t event seem to support this event at all so it shouldn’t be
> an issue with OpenFire.  We are writing our own server so we can code it to
> behave the way we want.  Does anyone have any thoughts here?

I think this issue has had some previous discussion already here
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/pubsub/2011-August/000719.html

(Yep, some time ago).

I have always implemented the "affiliation -notifications" in
http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event namespace (where I think it's
more consistent with the rest of the events).

Great weekend for all! Cheers!
--
Tuomas