[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Fri Aug 10 11:56:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> There's no discussion of whether or not this extension can be used in MUC rooms, and if so, what if any discovery is required.
>
> Will add, ta.
>
>> I'd argue that, given the nature of this extension, there's little need for any discovery. [[Because corrections are likely to be infrequent and there's fallback built into the protocol.]]  Regardless of whether the expectation is or is not that clients send corrections without performing discovery first, the expectation should be stated.
>
> I think the expectation is that it's OK to send corrections without
> support being known (MUC etc.), as the body itself acts as a
> correction even without support and no extra stanzas are involved
> (you're going to be sending the correction one way or the other
> anyway), but that it'd be smart to tell the sending user that support
> isn't know. I'll add some text, ta.

A MUC service might rewrite the id attribute, see
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#message
"Note well that for tracking purposes this service assigns a new 'id' to
  each message it generates (here using a UUID as defined in RFC 4122)"

I bet some services do this... making the id at the recipient
unpredictable.