[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0308 (Last Message Correction)

Mark Rejhon markybox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 20:05:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Gunnar Hellström
<gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se> wrote:
> That is both an opportunity and a risk.
> It is an opportunity for other extensions adding elements to the <message/>
> to consider if they want to utilize XEP-0308 for replacing the contents.
> ( this could possibly be utilized by XEP-0301 instead of specifying its own
> way of doing replacements of real-time text, but it requires some more
> specific rules in XEP-0301 about how to apply it in that environment.)

In addition, it would likely be non-backwards compatible in a
"graceful degrade manner", e.g. MUC
A mixed MUC with all kinds of participants simultaneously:
- Clients that don't support XEP-0301
- Clients that support XEP-0301 but not XEP-0308
- Clients that support XEP-0308 but not XEP-0301
- Clients that support both XEP-0301 and XEP-0308

The way both me and Kevin has currently specified, ensures that both
0301 and 0308 will work and interop fine in mixed-MUC situations.
Therefore, I like the way XEP-0308 is specified: full stanza
replacement only, and keeping 0301 retroactive editing separate of
0308 retroactive.   It's far simpler and far more forgiving than
trying to specify ways of replacing specific <rtt/> elements.

Mark Rejhon