[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Sergey Dobrov binary at jrudevels.org
Tue Aug 14 08:43:39 UTC 2012

Hello all, hope you are all good.

Me and Jaussoin Timothée faced with a problem to attach files to
microblog posts. The easier way to do that is to serve files somewhere
and link to them from the posts. But what is the appropriate way to do that?

1) upload to a web server and link as http-link. But how to upload? If
we will just create an API and then upload files through it then it will
not be reusable. We have a XEP-0129 (WebDAV File Transfer) but it's
deferred and doesn't determine some things like what exactly server we
have to PUT files to.
2) Use native file serving protocol: we have XEP-0135 which is seems to
be good for me, but it's deferred again and doesn't define a way to
upload files to a hosting. Also, it doesn't support Jingle File
Transfers. So it needs to be finished. Also, we have XEP-0214 which
seems to me too complicated. And it's also deferred, not finished,
without an ability to upload files.

Also, we need an ability to make a link to files, which, possibly, will
need an invitation of new link schema. (?)

So, if we want to take care about finish, which XEP should it be? What
is the other nuances or guidelines?

Thanks.

--
With best regards,