[Standards] File hosting XEP?

Todd Herman todd at apx-labs.com
Tue Aug 14 12:47:50 UTC 2012

Having files somewhere and linking to them sounds a lot like Out-Of-Band Data (XEP-0066).  It covers the linking part (mainly used in SI File Transfers and Message stanzas) and leaves the transferring of the files and how they are stored on the server to you.

>1) upload to a web server and link as http-link. But how to upload? If we will just create an API and then upload files through it then it will not be reusable. We have a XEP-0129 (WebDAV File Transfer) but it's deferred and doesn't determine some things like what exactly server we have to PUT files to.
>2) Use native file serving protocol: we have XEP-0135 which is seems to be good for me, but it's deferred again and doesn't define a way to upload files to a hosting. Also, it doesn't support Jingle File Transfers. So it needs to be finished. Also, we have XEP-0214 which seems to me too complicated. And it's also deferred, not finished, without an ability to upload files.
>
>Also, we need an ability to make a link to files, which, possibly, will need an invitation of new link schema. (?)

Again, see if XEP-0066 is what you need.